Importance of continuing education
Taking the time to keep up to date with the latest trends and technologies through continuing education in digital marketing will help you stay relevant in the insurance business world. This is essential if you expect to continue to provide yourself or your customers with high-quality service.
today more than ever, to stay up to date, but above all competitive in the digital marketing landscape, both the owners of any business and employees must constantly learn and update their skills in a variety of areas, including analysis, creative direction, sales, digital media and more.
Joining a company is like entering a battlefield! Certainly, it is a very strong statement, perhaps even over the top, but it certainly makes it easier for those who do not know the world of marketing (both traditional and digital) to understand what this “strange” universe was, what it is and how it will always be.
Those who were marketing consultants in the 80s and 90s of the last century faced, at least, endless exhausting meetings, first with their team and then with customers.
Today the situation has not changed. Meetings are faster, often done on digital platforms like Zoom and Meet but the process has pretty much remained the same.
On the one hand the marketing consultant, the growth hacker, or even an entire team, and on the other the client alone or with his internal team.
Being able to convey one’s modus operandi is never simple, above all because, even if there are certain and immutable rules of marketing, the scenario has become increasingly broad and varied where often some professional figures overlap or, as often happens, where one thinks that, for example, a social media manager is also an advertising expert and, why not, also an excellent SEO specialist.
This is because all of us consultants use the same basic tool: a personal computer connected to the internet.
If after over 20 years of SEO consultancy it still happens (fortunately more and more rarely) that I am asked to take a look at the PC because it is not working when I answer to call a technician I see my clients’ eyes clouding.
If I then tell them that every time I buy a new PC or need maintenance, I am the first to turn to a computer technician, then the eyes become white and go into a trance.
As a good psychologist, yes because a consultant must first of all also be a psychologist (and fortunately in my university course in Political Science there were Psychology 1 and Psychology 2), I remind them that in Formula 1 there are engineers, mechanics, and the pilot. And the latter has only one goal, to win the race and possibly the championship, but if the car breaks down, he is certainly not the one who has to fix it.
With this in mind, it is therefore essential to train and continually learn new digital marketing and sales strategies before even considering choosing a business. Without this knowledge, you will likely be ill-equipped to survive the inherent challenges of setting up or growing an online business.
In this article, you will learn the important reasons why it is always best to train in sales and digital marketing first and then start a new business.
But as often happens, many businesses have embarked on their path even before the advent of the internet or social media and therefore it is equally important to update yourself to understand which strategies are the best, but above all to have the right soft skills to choose your consultants.
The Topic Of This Post
- 1 What is continuous training
- 2 Examples of continuing education
- 3 What is the difference between lifelong learning and lifelong learning?
- 4 Why continuous training in digital marketing is important
What is continuous training?
Continuing education is the process of continually learning new skills and knowledge. This can come in many forms, from institutional courses to casual social learning. It involves self-initiative and accepting challenges. Continuing education can also take place within an organization, or it can be a personal journey, such as in lifelong learning.
Why is continuing education important for businesses?
Staying competitive in today’s global marketplace means organizations need to be innovative, adaptive, and ever-changing. Achieving this goal depends on the skill and knowledge of the workforce. But how do you get this kind of workforce, to begin with?
Innovating, trying a new process, or doing something new requires learning.
People need to learn new knowledge or skills to see things in a new light and take the next leap. When companies do not support a continuous learning process, innovation does not happen, the processes remain the same and nothing new is ever achieved.
Employees must be able to challenge themselves to gain new knowledge, ideas, and skills. Learning must be flexible, on-demand, and continuous to contribute to this kind of cutting-edge performance.
Benefits for businesses
Creating a learning culture within a company is an effective way to improve performance and innovation, as mentioned above, but also employee satisfaction and retention.
- Knowledge is power – The more employees know and the more they can do, the more they can contribute to the organization.
- Cheaper – Investing in employee development is less expensive than hiring and retraining new employees.
- Show Employees Are Appreciated – Continuous learning support indicates that employees are worth the investment and that the organization is genuinely interested in employee career development.
Benefits for the individual
Continuously updating knowledge or skills can help an employee in both his professional and personal life for a variety of reasons. like:
- Top Performer – Developing new skills and knowledge can increase personal performance or competency at work.
- Career Development – Continuing education, education, or skills development can help achieve goals for those pursuing a career path or wanting to rotate into a new position.
- Licenses or Certifications – Pursuing continuing education is also important for those employees who need to obtain or update professional licenses or certifications.
- Promotions or Incentives – Taking the time to learn a new skill or gain new knowledge can benefit job performance and influence future promotions or financial incentives.
- Personal enrichment – Often a person’s interests go beyond the work they do daily. Pursuing extra-curricular interests can lead to insights and developments that open the door to new future opportunities.
- Stay marketable – Staying up to date on trends and progress in their profession can help an employee stay marketable in their profession should something change.
Examples of continuing education
Let’s take a look at the different ways an employee can engage in continuing education in digital marketing:
Institutional learning includes ways in which a learner can acquire new knowledge and skills through learning initiatives that have already been predetermined, organized, and implemented for a specific learning purpose or goal. This can include:
- a university or college course
- training programs within the organization
- external workshops or conferences
- e-Learning courses
- mobile learning courses
Social training includes all how a student interacts, discusses, collaborates, and learns from others to increase knowledge or learn new skills. This can be both formal and informal, including:
- Social media discussion and collaboration
- Find blogs or other resources to get insights
- Working with other colleagues
- Coaching and mentoring
- On-the-job training
Getting a new skill or improving your knowledge and understanding of something doesn’t have to be limited to formal training or working with others.
Self-directed training can include:
- Do the research and read to get a deep understanding of a topic.
- Listen to podcasts relevant to the topic or watch instructional videos
- Experimentation and exploration
What is the difference between lifelong learning and lifelong learning?
Lifelong learning and lifelong learning are terms often used interchangeably. Sometimes they can have a slightly different meaning depending on the context.
The term continuing education can also refer to someone who is committed to learning new skills or knowledge, but it is often used in a more temporary or formal context.
An example of lifelong learning would be someone who is taking supplemental training for their job. This is a formal, sometimes temporary commitment that is made to gain new skills.
- Continuing education begins with leaders
When employees see that their manager or supervisor is fully engaged and supporting learning and development initiatives, an atmosphere is created that promotes continuing education.
Sometimes it is difficult for employees to take time away from daily work activities because there is an impression that management may not approve.
Show other employees that it is important and appreciated, thus becoming a role model.
- Create a training plan
When continuing education becomes part of the way the company works, employees are more inclined to engage in it. This means defining the business goals of what you hope to achieve and creating an action plan on how to support them.
Engaging in continuing education dialogue means that employees will not only see that the organization is sincere in supporting the learning initiatives, but that efforts are being offered to make it a reality.
The plan may include what resources or support individuals might need or the types of learning that may be offered, such as mobile training or mentoring.
- Provide the resources and time for continuing education
The main component of creating a learning environment is time and resources. These must be available to employees.
This can come in all forms, depending on the needs of the organization, department, or individual employee.
Some ideas include:
- Establish a personal development plan with each employee to identify what they may want to learn to promote encouragement and initiative
- Organize Lunch & amp; Learns during the lunch break to encourage employees to present and apply what they have learned
- Spend time for employees to engage in training or learning
- Attend workshops or team events
- Provide access to professional resources through subscriptions or memberships
- Provide access to online learning for self-paced courses
- Organize mentoring or coaching opportunities
- Create a learning “task force” that allows employees to investigate and collaborate on a topic
Why continuous training in digital marketing is important
What we have said so far is only the preamble of what a business owner and his collaborators must constantly implement to be always trained and updated in the infinite world of SEM (Search Engine Marketing).
And, specifically, continuous training in digital marketing is essential for:
- Create a great project for your business
- Avoid major business problems
- Know how to use sales tools
- Learn to take advantage of digital marketing
How to start creating a great project for your business
Without adequate training in the basic concepts of digital marketing and sales, it is really difficult to establish a core business basis, which is the basis for your successful project.
Those who have followed continuous training for years, like a mantra, have been told many times that it is possible to achieve sustainable business growth by knowing the best design with a go-to-market business model and sales training.
Here are the important aspects of digital marketing and continuing education that serve to help you create a great project for your business:
- Benchmark of competitors: It is essential to find out the gaps and business opportunities to maximize revenue growth by knowing the best practices of competitors and sibling companies by analyzing the training materials effectively giving your team steps and processes that members they can follow easily.
- Learning the fundamentals: Training your sales teams in fundamental knowledge and skills, as well as enabling them to have access to up-to-date learning is crucial for them to play their role. This should be done regularly. Plus, active coaching can help your employees continually improve.
- Business Planning: Every successful company tries to eliminate the guesswork with effective business planning. From budgeting to marketing campaigns, all steps and decisions should be carefully considered. By undergoing continuous learning in sales and marketing, you can come up with a better, smarter, and more informed business plan.
Avoid big business problems
Continuing training in digital marketing helps to avoid big business problems: if you don’t want to regret an important decision because you were not aware of the consequences or have not determined the weaknesses of a marketing campaign, the study is essential.
Take a look at these big business problems and how you can avoid them with proper training in digital marketing and sales:
- Running out of resources: If you have adequate sales training, you will learn how to create the right budget for your sales and marketing campaigns to avoid running out of money to run your business and daily expenses.
- Small Customer Base: A thorough understanding of digital marketing allows you to grow your customer base. An example would be the use of search engine optimization or SEO to improve your traffic and rankings in Google and other major search engines. With digital marketing strategies, you will be able to reach more potential customers to expand your customer base.
- Getting caught up in business processes: It is essential to be agile and develop a good structure, prioritizing tasks correctly. Sales training will help you avoid getting stuck in the usual business processes and will allow you to gain insights to improve yours.
- Don’t Grow Fast Enough: If you want your business to grow fast, you need to have a solid business plan. And one way to get it is to educate yourself on traditional and modern business concepts and emerging business trends.
Know how to use sales tools
With training in sales and marketing, you will know the importance and use of different tools that can improve the productivity and growth of your business. A good example of a small business sales tool is project management software.
Project management software is suitable for individuals and development teams with small budgets, and for companies that have less complexity than larger organizations. It keeps you organized with useful add-ons so you can get more work done.
Delegation of tasks is also made easier with project management software because it is a one-stop solution that provides a detailed overview of team activities, issues invoices to your clients quickly, and tracks the time spent on each task.
To read: Asana: the definitive guide (in Italian)
Using sales tools for small and large businesses, you can:
- Track goals by labeling them as a task, bug, feature, or release. It is possible to assign an estimated point for a particular task or “story” to show how much time, effort, or work it will take to finish the job.
- Add descriptive and label elements using a custom label, or add more specific sub-tasks. It will make task assignments easier to interpret and track.
- Use the visual analytics dashboard to let you see the percentage of tasks rejected after submission. This way, you can better understand the work blocks that arise, such as changing guidelines or incomplete instructions.
- Know where all your effort and money has been spent by looking at the number of tasks and bugs. By doing so, you can have better control over your business operations.
Learn how to take advantage of digital marketing
Digital marketing is all about online marketing efforts, such as social media marketing, SEO, email marketing, and paid ads. Unlike traditional advertising, today’s businesses rely heavily on digital marketing, especially during a crisis.
Digital marketing strategies are best understood with continuous learning, usually through online or electronic learning (e-learning). By knowing how each digital marketing strategy works, you will be able to take advantage of its application, features, and benefits.
With continuous training in digital marketing you can learn how to take advantage of marketing:
- Knowing the effective digital marketing techniques suitable for the type of business or niche you want to venture into.
- Create an effective sales and marketing plan for your future business.
- Learn how existing businesses market their products and practices and apply them in your business.
- Learn how to use marketing control tools such as analytics software to measure the performance of your campaigns and your business in general.
Even after taking the necessary courses and getting certifications, you will likely find that your career requires you to keep learning year after year to stay current with new skills and knowledge. This ongoing learning is especially true for digital marketers. As the tech industry is constantly changing and coming with innovations, learning will always be a part of your job.
As a digital marketer, your ambition to learn must go hand in hand with your success. The changes that can occur in just one day can significantly change the way digital marketers work.
Take a look at what’s trending on Twitter and other social media sites to see how quickly an event can change everyone’s line of thinking. Likewise, new technology can drastically alter the way you engage with your customers.
Continuing education in digital marketing is not just about learning new technologies in the field. You should try to stay open to learning new things in a variety of disciplines. You never know when something you have learned will be useful to a customer.
Increasing your knowledge of a wide range of topics will help you speak intelligently about many topics. In addition to enriching you on a personal level, this knowledge will earn you more respect from customers and colleagues who come to you with questions or challenges that you can answer or solve uniquely.
Your willingness to learn can help you become qualified to offer assistance and insights that will make you a more valued professional.
Keeping yourself open to absorbing and learning new information can help you take your career in other directions as well.
You can make yourself more desirable for a promotion if you can show that you enjoy learning and expanding your mind. Learning often involves trying new things and expanding your experiences as well. This can help you bring more experience into whatever business you try to undertake, both in your personal life and in your career.
Taking the time to keep up to date with the latest digital marketing trends and technologies will help you stay relevant in your line of work. This is essential if you expect to continue to provide your customers with high-quality service.
Always remember that when you take the time to continuously learn and train in the world of digital marketing, you will be investing in your career.